SMS is very powerful channels for mobile marketing. Over 3.6 billion people are able to receive SMS messages, and 90% of those messages are opened within three minutes (compared to 90 minutes for the average email).
• The open rate of SMS is 98% compared to other media.
• Text messages can be 8x more effective at engaging customers.
• Almost 60% of consumers make direct purchases after receiving an SMS-branded text.
It’s important to remember that marketing directly to mobile devices is more personal than targeting an audience through other channels. When reaching someone on a mobile device through SMS, you are reaching that person in his/her pocket or purse.
Be personal, respectful, and clear:
• Keep the text under 160 characters.
• Don’t use slang or abbreviations.
• Offer the recipient something of value.
• Make it clear who is sending the message.
• Craft a clear call-to-action.
Expanded media options allow for a more branded message and create a better tie-in to other marketing campaigns.